After expending time and money to recruit great employees, make sure they have good experiences with your company in the initial days and weeks. These impressions can affect their long-term loyalty and help determine whether they stay with you for the long term.
Here are ideas for making new employees feel welcome in your workplace
- Ensure uniformity in how new employees are brought on board. Develop an orientation plan template that is available in print or online to everyone in your company or department.
- Provide them with vital information before they start—benefits sign-up, work schedule, dress code, ID, etc. Let them know what they will do the first day.
- Have their computer ready and their work station organized, along with supplies they will need.
- Give them a binder of policies, procedures, FAQs, etc. or make the information available online.
- Introduce them individually to their new co-workers.
- Partner new employees with current employees who can orient them to the department and company.
- Schedule “get acquainted” meetings for them with people with whom they will work or interact.
- Take them to lunch on the first day, using the time to answer questions and get to know them better.
- Encourage them to participate in team meetings and attend social activities.
New employees who immediately feel accepted and valued are more relaxed and better understand their role within the department and company. They will have a deeper commitment and will be more inclined to like their new job and to be convinced they made the right decision to work for you.
Making strong first impressions can have long-term benefits with new employees. And don’t forget to get feedback from them about your onboarding process and make changes to keep it fresh and relevant.
We can assist you with employee recruitment and orientation
At TriStarr, our recruiters (aka headhunters) and employment specialists can assist you, whether you must fill a full-time position or need temporary administrative staffing or professional staffing services. The professionals at our recruiting agency and HR consulting firm truly enjoy finding the most qualified employees for our clients.
At TriStarr Staffing, Recruiting, and Consulting, we back our recommendations with our Good People Guarantee. If a client isn’t pleased with a professional we have recruited within several months, we will replace the person with another candidate at no cost or provide an agreed-upon, prorated refund. Our clients rarely use our guarantee because our skills and connections lead us to the “right-fit” candidate nearly every time.
If you would like help with finding, interviewing, and assessing the right candidates for full-time positions or temp jobs, talk with us here at TriStarr. We are an HR consulting firm and a recruiting and administrative employment agency based in Lancaster, PA.