Recruitment strategies in 2019 aren’t what they were 10 or more years ago. Today, job recruitment companies stay competitive by offering alternative forms of interviewing to reach the best candidates in the marketplace. There are numerous means of interviewing candidates that close the gap in distance and time constraints, getting you that much closer to the best candidate for your company.
A common interview approach, when an in-person interview isn’t possible, is video interviewing. Modern technology allows you to remotely interview candidates – either in real time or in pre-recorded sessions. Offering this form of interviewing could be the tipping point in snagging that industry all-star who isn’t actively searching for new work.
Before you start interviewing all potential candidates exclusively over video interviewing platforms, we suggest that you consider the following benefits and drawbacks. Figure out for yourself if video interviewing, utilized by job recruitment companies like TriStarr Staffing, is right for your department.
3 benefits to video interviewing potential candidates
- Save time and money: Scheduling a video interview with a candidate can ultimately help your bottom line. It allows you to cut out extraneous small talk and additional administrative time. It can also save travel time and money for a candidate, which could be the deciding factor for those still on the fence about accepting a new position.
- Enable after-hours interviewing: Many top candidates for your role are currently employed. This means the pool of active job seekers is small, and even fewer are readily available to interview during regular working hours. Offering a video interviewing option can allow for after-hour interviews that fit both your schedules.
- Reduce time-to-hire: When you offer the option to interview over the internet, you can often schedule the interview much quicker than you could get the candidate physically in the door. This option allows you to more quickly assess a candidate’s fit and ability to succeed in the role. Rapidly filling the role with the right candidate opens up time to focus on surpassing other company goals and objectives.
3 drawbacks to video interviewing potential candidates
- Internet connection issues and poor video quality: Video interviewing is not without its faults. Internet connection issues can add time and headaches for you or person you’re interviewing. Further, poor video quality can lead to gaps in the conversation and a lack of interpersonal connection.
- Lack of IT savviness (not required for the job): Video interviewing allows you to assess a candidate’s computer proficiency. However, this might not be necessary, and can work against an otherwise perfectly capable candidate. Not every role requires the intimate IT know-how involved with successful interviewing over the internet; you could inadvertently force a candidate to show a weakness that is not relevant to the role but reflects poorly on he or she just the same.
- Loss of in-person connection and body language cues: While video interviewing enables you to see the candidate, unlike traditional phone interviews, having a screen between the two of you can still cause you to lose some of the nuance involved with meeting someone face to face.
Need help with interviewing? Our job recruiters can assist you
Effective interviewing either over the phone, through video, or in person isn’t easy—it takes time and effort. That’s why many companies entrust the initial phase of the interviewing process to job recruitment companies and recruitment temp agencies. Recruiters know how to find the right candidates and how to ask the right questions.
If you’re thinking of recruitment outsourcing or need help with interviewing to evaluate and find candidates, we hope you will talk with us here at TriStarr. Our recruiting, staffing, and HR consulting firm is based in Lancaster, PA, with clients in the York, Harrisburg, Lebanon, and Reading areas.
We back our recruiting with our Good People Guarantee. If you aren’t pleased with a new hire within the first few months, our guarantee takes effect. Our job recruiters will replace the person with another candidate at no additional cost or provide an agreed-upon, prorated refund. But our clients rarely request that, because we find candidates who are a great fit nearly every time.